[thelist] Java: Which version?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:26:27 CDT 2005

I'd suggest you install 1.5 sdk. Although 1.4.2 would suffice as well,
1.5 has some changes in syntax and you might want to try the newest
things as you are starting out from scratch.

Don't try 1.3.x or below, it does not even have regex support.

J2EE (The enterprise edition) is the way to become a Jedi. (your
opinions may vary)

Only dive into it, if you plan to, in it after you master the desktop
environment.
Then do stuff with Remote Method Invocation using Java.
After that observe Servlets, write some getty posty web pages.
Then, if you wish, try Java Server Pages.
And only and only after you fully master those consider looking at J2EE.

HTH,
Volkan.