[thelist] A little Ruby help would be great [windows]

Chris Hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Sep 22 13:45:55 CDT 2005

Hey Tom,
It might be easier to start with a framework like Ruby on Rails. The videos
are great - they demo how to get started
http://www.rubyonrails.org/

I've also found "Agile Web Development with Rails"
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html to be useful and
their Ruby book [http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html]
has been recommended to me too (haven't checked that out yet)

FWIW, it seems to me that a majority of Rails developers are developing on
macs, so there's a lot of documentation for getting it up and running on a
mac. However, it only took us an afternoon to do a clean install of Ubuntu
(Hoary) and get Rails running with all the packages we needed (mostly
rmagick for images + lamp). I've been told the windows environment isn't
much different, but ymmv.

hth
- Chris
www.semioticpixels.com