[thelist] alternative to Winamp?

Laurel S. Nevans laurel at artistcrafts.com
Sun Sep 25 19:36:25 CDT 2005

> I'm looking for an alternative to winamp (preferably
> open source or GPL) for windows XP.

http://www.foobar2000.org/
 Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform.
Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory
footprint and native support for several popular audio formats.

Features
  a.. Open component architecture allowing third-party developers
to extend functionality of the player
  b.. Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC,
AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC
  c.. Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC,
OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various
MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives
  d.. Full Unicode support on Windows NT
  e.. ReplayGain support
  f.. Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large
playlists
  g.. Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file
info box and masstagger)
  h.. Highly customizable playlist display
  i.. Customizable keyboard shortcuts
  j.. Most of standard components are opensourced under BSD
license (source included with the SDK)

http://videolan.org/vlc/
 VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia
player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2,
MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various
streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in
unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

(Finally, something I can help with<g>.  Both programs are
recommended by etree.org.)

Laurel