[thelist] Is this a list?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 03:31:03 CDT 2005

Amanda Kuek wrote:

> The problem I have here is that the list is completely anonymous. I'm
> not sure how to go about making sure that only the people who checked
> an item could UNCHECK the item, without some sort of login, which I
> have been told is out of the question. I do agree that "Are you sure?"
> style messages are a tad insulting (except in the case of my parents,
> who click on anything).

Cookies are your only option, then but not a great solution as they are
browser specific. What if someone signs up for an item at work then
checks from home what they selected? They're SOL.

It would be far better to get the email address and confirm back to them
in email what they chose.

I would:
1. get their email and reassure people that the information is not going
to be displayed anywhere.
2. Send an email confirming their selection
3. Provide a coded link in the email that if clicked would allow them to
opt out of the item and return it to the pool of valid items.
4. Provide a coded link in the email that if clicked would let the
recipient check what they're choice was again.

I think it's essential that people have a reminder of their choice -
when I have used wedding lists, there is usually a big gap between
choosing which gift to give and actually getting it.

Getting their email is fundamental, imho.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net