[thelist] Is this a list?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 06:40:19 CDT 2005

Amanda Kuek wrote:

> Regarding accessibility, I happen to know that NO ONE who will be
> viewing this site will be using a screen reader or have poorer motor
> skills, etc.

How on earth can you "know" that two week's from now someone's
grandma/uncle/boss/colleague is not going to also want to give the
couple a gift, and that they do not have a relevant disability?

You personally know every single person in the category of personal
acquaintance, business contact, work colleague and family member, for
both the bride and groom, and the precise nature of or absence of
disability for every one? And have advance knowledge of every person
they are going to meet in the months before the wedding? Horsefeathers.

You "know" no such thing.

Sorry to pick you up on this, but... The current admittedly trivial
example is not the main issue here; statements like the one you made are
used every day to justify persistent, continuous, endemic discrimination
against people with disabilities.

All web sites need to be accessible. Nothing will change until people
like us stop using self-deluding statements like your assertion, and
just do the job right in the first place without bitching about the
extra millisecond's thought it requires.

As I said, sorry for being Mr Cross here, but I work with a lot of
people with disabilities through our user testing activities, count many
of them as friends, and I know the effect this kind of carelessness has
on their lives. Statements like yours really make me angry.

ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net