[thelist] Is this a list?

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 10:17:31 CDT 2005

Canfield, Joel wrote:

> You made a dozen excellent points in your post, all of them obscured by
> your anger. Anger doesn't convince anyone that you're right, nor will it
> persuade them to internalize your valid points.

Fair criticism. I take it on board; I clearly did overstate the case in
several places.

> And just in case it has to be said, I have numerous friends and
> relatives with various disabilities, so I am neither ignorant nor
> unfeeling. I just disagree strongly with your personal attack on Amanda.

I'm sorry if it seemed like an attack on Amanda herself. This was not my
intention, and I thought I had tried carefully to criticise her comment,
not her personally.

Obviously not - sorry, Amanda.

Cheers

Ian

<tip type="breadcrumb trail musings" author="Ian Anderson">
Adding a breadcrumb trail is a great way to help web site users to
orient themselves as they navigate through a site. It also helps
visitors who enter from search engines to quickly get a feel for where
they are, and to access related pages easily.

This works best when the trail shows the hierarchical position of the
current page in the information architecture of the site. Some people
implement "click trails" which show the recent history of pages visited.
These should probably not be made to look like regular breadcrumb
trails, as visitors who are used to them representing hierarchy may
become very confused.

It's best to use a separating character that implies hierarchy such as &gt;

e.g. home > company > background

Colons or forward slashes make interesting variations, and are especialy
suitable for a technically aware audience:

  home : company : background

  home/company/background

For most English-speaking users, seeing something neutral like the
pipeline character | would be confusing, though;

home | company | background

Pipeline is usually used for separating equivalent choices, as there is
no direction or hierarchy implied by the | character. Implementing a
breadcrumb trail like this is probably not a good idea.

Opinions differ over whether the last item in the breadcrumb trail
should be the current page, or the parent of the current page; as long
as the title of the current page is clearly represented by a heading in
close proximity to the breadcrumb trail, it probably doesn't make a lot
of difference.
</tip>

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net