[thelist] Greasemonkey gmail

Scott Glasgow paladin at fuse.net
Fri Sep 30 17:05:07 CDT 2005

Liam Delahunty wrote:
> On 30/09/05, ben morrison <morrison.ben at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So would it be possible to use greasemonkey to remove the ads in
>> gmail - maybe this would violate any t&c's so this is purely
>> hyphothetical
>
> I don't know about greasemonkey, I remove a lot of the more annoying
> ads just by specifing a a HOSTS file (windows) I'm sure there's other
> equivilant for Macs if that's your OS.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_filtering
> http://adblock.mozdev.org/
>
> Then they'd be gone for all browsers.
>
> Mainly I only block pop-ups as I believe ads are the price we pay for
> free content.

I'm with you on this point. The exceptions I make are those damnable
"fly-in-from-the-side" and other formats that block the content until you
click them away. For sites that I know use those techniques, I use the batch
files I found on one of the HOSTS file sites that let me switch and/or lock
HOSTS files at will. Generally, though, most ads are fairly unobtrusive, and
I have even found myself intrigued enough occasionally to actually follow
the link, even purchasing the advertised product on a couple of occasions.

> Here's a hosts file site
> http://hostsfile.mine.nu/
>
> This claims an ad free gmail
> http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2004/09/block-google-text-ads