[thelist] suckerfish nav menu not working in IE

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Oct 6 20:52:31 CDT 2005

On 6 Oct 2005 at 17:46, Bruce Gilbert wrote:

> I am working on a menu based on the sickerfish idea detailed on
> alistapart.com <http://alistapart.com>
> It works in FF, but not in IE.
[...]

bruce... are you getting a JS error at all? do you have a page we can
view? the code below is essentially useless to me since i'm not going
to cut it out and make pages... plus it doesn't tell me if you have a
spelling error in your HTML...

[...]
>  also my subnav items are apprearing centered and I would like them to flush
> left. How can I accomplish this in the CSS??
[...]

check your selectors... you probably just need to add a ul#ID li li
to select descendant lis and style them...

however, i would suggest you take the menu from ALA a little
further... there are modifications to the JS that allow it to work in
more browsers, and that provide keyboard access.. also, i've modified
it to use an ordered list so that those with screen readers can get a
count and not lose their place so easily...

in addition, i have server-side code that does a character count and
increases the width of the larger top-level items, handles selected
elements, and generally makes it a boat-load easier to administer...
not that all of it would be useful to you here...

that being said, take a look at the menus on algonquinstudios.com...
they aren't perfect, but i consider them a step up...

otherwise, if you can post your code to a url (and please not post it
all to the list), we can take a gander...