[thelist] Subscription CMS Suggestions

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Oct 12 12:47:02 CDT 2005

I keep getting requests for paid-subscription membership websites.  I've
used Mambo CMS for this purpose in the past, but Mambo has a big
"overwhelm" factor for non-tech site owners, and I got tired of tracking
Mambo's code changes; plus last I checked the output markup was still
nested table city.

The requirements are generally something like:
Easy learning curve for site owner after installation and initial set up
by web developer
PHP/MySQL
Free or low-cost for base CMS
Registration as a member requires payment via Authorize.Net (*not* Paypal)
Auto-renewal of subscription via cron
Content types for: articles, news/blog, calendar/events,
directory/yellow pages listings, links, image/media galleries
Ability to set access for content items as public or member (at least) -
i.e. allow preview of some content by non-members.
Active user/support/developer community

Pretty standard CMS stuff, aside from the paid-registration part.
Suggestions?

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/