[thelist] OT - folder named con cannot be created on Windows OS

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 04:35:24 CDT 2005

On 13/10/05, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK <volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere named as "con".
> This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the
> whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

I fully expect Bill does know about this as it's an old DOS 'shortcut'.

I think CON meant CONSOLE (screen) and there was also something for
print, (PRT maybe?) and NUL to send the results to nowhere.

Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS

See "reserved names under DOS."

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty