[thelist] Testing URL with regular expression

Gardiner, Iain Iain.Gardiner at inbev.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 04:56:47 CDT 2005

Morning all,

I'm making my first foray into regular expressions today because I've found
that I need to make a simple test in Javascript.  I was wondering if anyone
can give me advice on methodology.

Basically,  I want to check the window.location against the href element of
a link but it's important that it can match if the filename and/or anchors
are included.  So I've arrived at this expression:

    urlRegEx = /(index.php)?(#{1}.*)?/;

And I use this conditional:

    if (navigationLink.href == window.location + urlRegEx)

Hopefully this will match all of these eventualities:

    URL/
    URL/index.php
    URL/#anchor
    URL/index.php#anchor

I am not in a position to test this out at the moment, but I was hoping
someone could verify or offer advice on how it should be done and how best
to achieve it.

Thanks,

Iain