[thelist] Scanning for many strings in many texts

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Oct 13 13:19:49 CDT 2005

manuel.gonzalez.noriega at gmail.com wrote:

> thanks. I'm aware of inverted indexes, Mysql full-text search and
> general search strategies. I was just wondering if scanning for
> predefined strings was somewhat different  than usual user-submitted
> queries.

> So, if I have 3 million different strings to seek in 100 documents, I
> have to make 300 million full-text searches? I really hope I'm just
> being dull :)

I'm wondering now if I understand your goal; why are you searching,
apparently in the absence of a user query, for '3 million different
strings'?

If your 100 documents are in one table in a DB, the full-text index
on that table will only require 3 million searches. Only. heh. :-)

But maybe you can explain more what you're trying to do...

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                          dream.  code.