[thelist] ASP.NET Character Encoding

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 15:42:30 CDT 2005

Generally localization issues are hard to solve, cuz they are
combinations of several components and are mostly
platform/machine/region specific.

My guess; the issue is to do with your web.config file as well as aspx
page encoding atttribute and charset meta tags.

Here is the configuration I use:

web.config:

<configuration>
      <system.web>

		<globalization requestEncoding="iso-8859-9"
		responseEncoding="iso-8859-9" fileEncoding="iso-8859-9"
		culture="tr-TR"
		uiCulture="tr-TR" />
	</system.web>
</configuration>

And my aspx files look like something like:

default.aspx:
<%@ Page codePage="28599"%>

header.ascx:
<head>
	<title>title</title>

One more note: All my files are iso-8859-9 (i.e. windows-1254 --
Turkish) encoded. Saving them in UTF-8 made situation even worse for
my case (but it may help you, who knows :) )

I have several findings on the encoding isuue as well, they may be useful:
[1] http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/2005/09/yet-another-encoding-problem.html
[2] http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/2005/09/more-on-encoding.html
[3] http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/2005/10/encoding-solved.html

You may need to browse MSDN, rtfm etc. etc.

Encoding is really a pain in the rear. I wish you good luck. Hope
you'll fix it soon.

HTH,
--
Volkan Ozcelik