[thelist] Syntax Highlighting

Thomas Mayfield tgmayfield at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:27:44 CDT 2005

I was sure I saw more when I was browsing through categories, but no
that I've searched the site, as well, the list gets shorter.  And of
the ones I found, only the GeSHi package looks very useful (
http://phpclasses.goodphp.com/browse/package/1759.html ).

Just from some googling and wandering around software repositories:

http://scott.yang.id.au/file/php/syntax_hilight.php - Simple enscript
implementation.  Designed to be a WordPress plugin, but all that means
it that it has one extra procedure.  You could modify this code to use
any external utility that outputs (or that can be wrapped to output)
the fancied code to STDOUT.

http://www.andre-simon.de/ Simply called "Highlight".  Supports
multiple output formats.  You could plug it in to the syntax_highlight
script above, or write a shell script to create static versions
(offering users whatever type of file they like).

http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite/ GNU Source-Highlight.

https://jhighlight.dev.java.net/

http://www.palfrader.org/code2html/

A program called "texify" that I can't seem to find outside of the
debian package list.  There's something else called "texify" that's
easily searchable, but looks to be something different.  Creates LaTeX
documents.

http://webcpp.sourceforge.net/ Actually looks closest to what you
want, as it uses CSS to control a lot of the display.

--Thomas