[thelist] sites with breadcrumb history implementations

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:44:06 CDT 2005

> Can anyone recommend examples of sites that have nicely styled
> implementations of breadcrumbs that show a user's path history (NOT
> directory structure) through a site?
>
> I've implemented a path history breadcrumb on my site, but I think I need to
> style it better to make its meaning more apparent.
>
> Currently its styled as:
>
> History: linkone // linktwo // linkthree // current page title

We did implement those once, but deleted them after some user testing.
The problem is that user visits are not straight forward and you might
end up with a lot of entries. Furthermore you need to filter out
already visited pages. All in all what you with those is simulate the
browser history, and users are much more likely to hit the back button
than use those links.

Hierachical breadcrumbs, on the other hand do get used a lot.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com