[thelist] Destroy and search

Chris Hayes chris at lwcdial.net
Sun Oct 30 06:59:30 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at speakeasy.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Destroy and search
>> If not, maybe the situation explained will make things clearer.  The
>> client
>> is happy for me to hold this data temporarily but not to retain it.  I
>> want
>> users to be able to search this data after it has gone.
>
> I could be missing something here, but I don't think this is possible.
> Either you have the data or you don't. I don't see how there's a middle
> ground where you have just enough data for the users to search but not
> enough to reconstruct the original.
>
> Without knowing more about the exact circumstances and reasoning that
> your client doesn't want you retaining the data, it's difficult if not
> impossible to suggest ideas.

Say it's copyright poetry, and for legal reasons I can't retain the poem.

What I can do is index keywords related to a poem ID so it is searchable
although I don't actually store the poem anywhere.

This is the avenue I'm exploring but I certainly don't want to reinvent the
wheel, I don't want to write an bespoke search engine.