[thelist] Multilingual Sites: Best approach?

Administrative HQ english_offline at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 01:26:35 CST 2005

The subfolder solution has worked for us for a long
time.

Search engine submissions were made separately for the
index pages in various languages to main engines in
various countries/languages.

The main index page is English. Header and footer
include files are images (separate for each language)
with links to choose the language of choice. Once your
in that language all internal links go to the language
version of the desired page. No need for cookies.

Use only native speakers to translate your pages. Non
natives never get it quite right and computer
translation will come out bad (at best).

Problem is, you can't know the default language
encoding of the visitor's browser. Therefore, the only
solution we found was to make the header with the
language links an image (with image map) so the
language name shows up in it's own script for all
viewers.

So the English pages have a header (English include
file) like:

About Us   Members Area   Espanol    Deutch  etc.

Spanish page would contain:

Acerca   Para Miembros   English  etc...

All images so everybody sees the same thing.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.4

http://pear.php.net/package/HTTP/docs/latest/HTTP/HTTP.html#methodnegotiateLanguage

http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/lang-neg.html