[thelist] backordering, domain transfer and other issues.

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Thu Nov 10 13:03:35 CST 2005

> I'm curious. Did the developer and the site owner part on bad
> terms? Is
> that why he can't just contact him and ask him to transfer
> the domain? If
> so remember there are two sides to every story - the site
> owner may not
> have paid the developer, or some such, hence the breakdown in
> communication. If that is the case, would you want to work
> with this person?
>
> regards.
> -marc

I agree with Marc. Having been a freelance developer and designer for many
years, I have come across situations like this maybe half a dozen times. Of
those 6 times, twice I was burned by the client. The first time was my own
naivete, the second time it happened despite my research efforts. Turns out
both the former developer AND the client were #$!%holes.

Of course as a freelancer, you have to find work, take on jobs and get the
bills paid. But I highly recommend that you interview the client as much as
they interview you. And don't be afraid to fire bad clients. And remember
that legally binding contracts are only legally binding if you have the
willpower and money to enforce them.

In this situation, I'd highly recommend attempting to contact the former
developer and find out the rest of the story. As others have suggested, this
might lead to a very quick resolution, or at the very least may inform your
decision as to whether this job is worth having.

Good luck!

Ron