[thelist] Automatically updating copyright date in JavaScript - fallback?

Kowalkowski, Lee (ASPIRE) lee.kowalkowski at hmrcaspire.com
Fri Nov 11 10:17:18 CST 2005

> Tom Dell'Aringa says:
>
> I've been using a kind of kludgy way to keep from updating
> our many pages with copyright dates
> every year with a new year (2005-2006 for example). Here tis:

Eh?  What's the point in giving your copyright a date range?  Copyright
should have a single date, the date of first publication.

Dunno where you are, so:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html (US Law)
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/std/faq/copyright/how_long.htm (UK
Law, Computer software falls under "Literary Work")

What's the purpose of expressing a date range when copyright's duration is
relative to the date you die?  Or the date of creation or first publication
for "works made for hire", whatever that means.

- LK.