[thelist] abbreviations (was Re: Your favourite site backup utility?)

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Nov 14 14:30:06 CST 2005

Message from Shawn K. Quinn (11/14/2005 01:46 PM)

> > It is fine and good to be precise. But it's even finer to forgive
> > inaccurate names for operating systems and concentrate on the real
> > question at hand.
>
>Forgiving is one thing; not having enough information to answer the
>question is another.

Then shut up and don't answer it.

regards.
-marc

<tip type="abbreviations">
Abbreviations abound in all forms of communication but they can be a real
PITA (pain in the... arm) to decipher for people unfamiliar with them.

Generally if you must use an abbreviation in any businessy communication
include the long form the first time you do.

Otherwise who knows, someone may translate IANAL* into "I'm ANal About
Linux-naming"

FYI (For Your Information), IANAL actually translates to "I Am Not A
Lawyer". ;-)
</tip>