[thelist] Creating a local directory from the ground up

Alex Beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 19:31:47 CST 2005

hi List

Im thinking of setting up a directory for local SME's - is it worth the
trouble?

anyone tried the same?

Things Im worried about are being told "no, we dont need any free
internet advertising" and "No, Mr Jones isnt in today" (when he is) and
any other fob-off-du-jour

A few I ideas I had were to create a write up about the company -
describing what they do / sell in about 3 paras with a brief product
list & a photo. do the first 100 for free and then start charging a
fiver per year after an initial trial month. have a basic / standard /
website listings. so the basic would be a link with about 100 word
description and contact details, the standard would be something they
give me to put up and upto about 300kb of media and the website,
anything they cant get on to a page.

on the implementation side, I would not have it dynamic at all as sql
fell over a couple of days ago, so I cant trust it. I would create a
static page once info has been put into the db and recreate after each
modification - seems more stable that way.

the url would be something like -
[domain]/[location]/[category/[business_name]/index.html

thoughts?
Alex

--

  deltatraffic.co.uk