[thelist] recommendations for repartitioning windows 2000 server C: drive without data loss.

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:23:41 CST 2005

Wow,

I was not the only one in the world.

I got dozens of off-list responses :)

Here is the current situation:

I tried to change user profile folders from C:\Documents and settings
to F:\Documents and settings.

I deleted an enitre partition (of 15GB) G: (it was on the same
physical drive as C; so my plan was to merge the two)

Then I thought why not move the admin account to F:\Documents and
Settings as well.

And when I did that, the entire system got unstable; programs were not
running, each right click on a file was popping out VC++ error dialogs
etc.

So I had one inevitable choice left: Re-install the damn system.

I backed up necessary data, booted the system with my setup CD;
deleted C: merged it with G: .

I am currently composing this mail from the reborn server with 20GB C: drive.
It will be enough for me for a long time I suppose.

Anyway, when something similar strikes back I'll be ready for it.
Thanks everyone for their assistance.

As a side note:
One reliable partitionmagic-type product I found around for servers
was Acronis. And imho, it was too expensive (for my personal budget,
If I were a hosting company with an array of servers I would have
considered buying it though): The server version of acronis costs
around 400+ bucks.

I think it is better to inform users a systematic maintenance will be
issued after 20:00pm, apologize them; repartition the drive (or mount
a new drive) and re-install  a new server. In my situation, having it
up and running took less than half a day (without minor patches).

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/