[thelist] JavaScript: style.display

Casey aspnet at thecrookstons.com
Wed Nov 30 10:38:38 CST 2005

From: "Christian Heilmann" <codepo8 at gmail.com

>> Or you could have the server-side ASP for the parent page either:
>> a) write out some javascript to change the display state of that <tr>
>> after
>> the page has loaded
>>         -or-
>> b) as it dynamically generates the table, set the <tr> display state
>> appropriately
>
> Don't mix the two though, as in don't hide something via CSS and
> expect a JavaScript to be executable to show it again. If you show via
> JavaScript also hide via JavaScript.

Right.  Ug.  The way it was designed originally all of the <tr>'s were
hidden using CSS and then made visible with JavaScript.  Frankly, I didn't
know it was possible, and even when I saw how it was being done I scratched
my head and said "Wow - there sure are simpler ways to go about this."

--- borrowed from another reply on the same thread --

This is the same project I've been working on for a while -
I took it over from a guy who quit and none of the original code is mine.
The parent page is 3,000+ lines of code, and the JavaScript is already
heavily embedded.  I BEGGED the client to let me re-do the entire app in
.NET, but it was a no go.  So, I am stuck with the JavaScript.