[thelist] Flash - what happens it plugin not installed?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Nov 30 15:21:04 CST 2005

John Handelaar wrote:
>>I'd strongly recommend the 8.0 Player for security reasons. (The 7.x
>>versions were updated for antique operating systems which cannot use the
>>current Player.)
>
> I'd love to.  I'm running Linux on a 2.6 kernel, which you'll
> agree hardly qualifies as 'antique'.
> Where can I download it, John?   :)

Sorry, you got me on that one! ;-)  I was *thinking* of writing "The 7.x
versions were updated for Classic Mac, Windows NT, Windows 95, and
current Linux versions," but then worried that the extra words would
make for confusion and follow-up questions, but instead.... ;-)

Here's the page with the range of engine ports:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

The Macromedia Flash Player 7 for Linux has been updated with security
measures, but it's not yet matched to the Mac and Win 8.0 Players, for
two main reasons:
1)  Media services are more difficult on Linux, so high-level engines
take more work:
http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/08/porting-flash-player-to-alternative.html
2)  The Macromedia Flash Player 8.5, with a greatly improved logic
engine, is now in public alpha, so 8.0's timeframe will be short:
http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/flashplayer8_5/

but security is updated properly on this distribution.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd