[thelist] basic flash tutorial (for photo "slideshow")

David Eleuterius lists at ardentnewmedia.com
Thu Dec 8 16:34:42 CST 2005

Sarah Adams wrote:
> I've been asked to create a very simple flash animation for a client.
> Basically it's just going to display a bunch of photos, which should
> fade in and out to create sort of a slideshow effect, completely
> automated, no buttons or anything.
>
> Problem is, I know very little about Flash - I can figure my way around
> in it, and make small changes to existing flash files, but I don't
> really know where to start.

Sarah,

You might have a look at Slide Show Pro, a very affordable component for
Flash that will do exactly what you want.

http://slideshowpro.com/

This could be a good backup for you in case trying to learn it on your
own gets overwhelming.

If you're wanting to do it completely yourself, create a layer for each
photo. Then convert each photo to a movie clip (F8). For each layer, set
a start point and an end point on your timeline. Assign a "motion" tween
to these frames. At the start set the alpha on the image at 0. At the
end set it to 100%. Make sure the next image in line is a layer above
the previous image and repeat. You'll want to stretch out the final end
point (100%) so that it stays on screen as long as you want. Stagger out
the start and endings of each so that they overlap each other.

I hope this is enough to get you on the right track.

--
David Eleuterius