[thelist] Interesting maybe IIS/ASP maybe authentication error

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 8 18:15:19 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 08:00 -0600, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> So he logs off and I log on with my uname, pw and the pages display
> properly. He logs using another computer and the pages display properly.
> Aha! Perhaps his user profile on his machine is jacked up somehow (the
> intranet authenticates against NT logon info, and even though he can get to
> most of it that is the only thing that I could come up with at the time).
> Backups are done, profile is eliminated and then re-established. No joy,
> same problem. The problem seems to be isolated to his machine with him
> logged on on this particular site. A very odd thing indeed.

The next thing I would try here is reinstall: back up everything that
needs to be kept from that computer (ideally, of course, this has
already been done), format the drive (preferably not just the Windows
"format C:" here; I would boot a GNU/Linux live CD such as Knoppix and
doing something like 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=64k'), and
completely reinstall Windows, the applications, and everything else.
Ugly, yes, but when dealing with Windows this is often the only way to
fix mysterious problems. (Does anyone still wonder why I no longer use
Microsoft products?)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>