[thelist] 401.3 - Unauthorized due to ACL on resource

russ at unrealisticexpectations.com russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Mon Dec 12 10:31:50 CST 2005

Today, when attempting to hit my own server to snag a .zip file I had left in
the wwwroot directory, I received a 401.3 error:

"HTTP Error 401.3
Unauthorized: Unauthorized due to ACL on resource. This error indicates that
the credentials passed by the client do not have access to the particular
resource on the server. This resource could be either the page or file listed
in the address line of the client, or it could be another file on the server
that is needed to process the file listed on the address line of the client.
Please make a note of the entire address you were trying to access and then
contact the Web server's administrator to verify that you have permission to
access the requested resource. "

I've been doing some research, but I'm afraid I'm a little lost at what has
happened. I'm under the impression that I did a Server 2003 critical update
and something got changed that wouldn't allow my browser to simply start a
download of the .zip file, but want to be able to resolve this solution so I
can get access back to my files.

Has anyone else ran across this?

Thanks in advance,

Russ