[thelist] google does not index website????

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 06:33:20 CST 2005

Mark Rees wrote:

> I had this problem as well once. You can speed up the process a little by
> using a google sitemap. Read more here

Well, that is interesting - hadn't come across sitemaps before.

But Google don't imply in their reference materials that this is going
to help the OP, do they - Have you direct experience that demonstrates
this to be beneficial?

The site map is an XML description of the pages in your site.

"Sitemaps are particularly beneficial when users cannot reach all areas
of a website through a browseable interface. (Generally, this is when
users are unable to reach certain pages or regions of a site by
following links). For example, any site where certain pages are only
accessible via a search form would benefit from creating a Sitemap and
submitting it to search engines...
Please note that the Sitemap Protocol supplements, but does not replace,
the crawl-based mechanisms that search engines already use to discover
URLs. By submitting a Sitemap (or Sitemaps) to a search engine, you will
help that engine's crawlers to do a better job of crawling your site."
from https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en_GB/protocol.html

The OP didn't say that he had submitted his site to google directly
(http://www.google.co.uk/addurl/?continue=/addurl) - surely this is the
first step.

I didn't get the feeling from Google's materials that adding a sitemap
was a necessary step, or that it it would help with the problem
described where a site has been moved and now seems not to be being indexed.

Perhaps there is an issue with having one site at two apparent domains -
for example, is the redirect from one to the other done using 301
redirect or 302?

However, that was a really helpful reference to the Sitemaps feature.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net BETA - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets online
http://snippetz.net