[thelist] Playing a sound on a button/image click?

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Tue Dec 13 09:02:54 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <>
To: "thelist" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:45 AM
Subject: [thelist] Playing a sound on a button/image click?

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a kiosk design project, going to be delivered as a .Net application, so
my part of it is pretty much HTML. We need to play a simple sound on button/image button click.
Aside from using Flash, is there a good way to do this with plain old HTML? I know I can load a
file, for example in JS, but what I really need is *instant* feedback - a click noise for example.
It can't wait even a tenth of a second while some sound loads. Any ideas are appreciated!

The fastest way to get a sound out is with a midi file afaik, it's the smallest too.

The file has to be served up with the correct Mime Type - audio/midi - not experienced in creating them myself, saw lots of free tools in a quick Google on them though.

cheers,

        Mark