[thelist] CSS in HTML E-mail?

Kathie Han KHan at getty.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:01:57 CST 2005

I recently had to get rid of the css in our html emails and replace with just regular html font tags instead.

I've found that css isn't consistently rendered in most clients at all. In Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail, my styles were mostly overridden by the email clients' styles for the most part. And, all my classes were unique.

We had some complaints from users about the fonts not coming up right, so we had to forego css. I've also looked at all of the email newsletters that I get in html format, and all of them use just regular html and not css.

Hope that helps.

>>> english_offline at yahoo.com 12/14/05 11:15 AM >>>
Hello.

I need to create an HTML e-mail and received some
samples of the kind of thing that is needed. They were
quite well done, but I was somewhat surprised to see
CSS used for the font styles etc.

Is that a good idea? That is, can the various e-mail
clients be relied upon to handle CSS correctly (or at
all), or is it safer to use basic HTML for e-mail?

Thanks.
David

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/