[thelist] challenging layout...any ideas?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 14:36:25 CST 2005

So, I have this idea for a game. It will be built in HTML as the client side (take that as a given). I need a 10x10 (100 squares) grid. I've easily done it as a square grid. However, it would looks mucho better as an isometric grid.

I was able to layout an isometric grid with DIVs but the problem is 9 out of your 10 rows will always have half of the DIV covered. This is not good, I need to have access to each div - since users will need to select things in a cube - and only being able to select half a cube would be the stinko.

I thought about a nasty image map, but I don't want to go there.

I played around with when the DIV is clicked (or moused over), bringing it forward in the z-index, but I couldn't really get it to work right (and historically I have never had good luck with that). I'm thinking there is a clever way to do this - and a clean one - but I have not figured it out. The trick is the isometric "diamond" shape vs. being restricted to blocks in HTML.

My *rough* attempt is here:

http://pixelmech.com/rev/tile.html

I'd love to hear ideas on how this might successfully be done, as I'd really love to go iso vs. cube.

http://www.pixelmech.com/http://www.crossandthrone.com/

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The bus driver says: That's the ugliest baby that I've ever seen. The woman goes to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: That driver just insulted me! The man says: You go right up there and tell him off  go ahead, I'll hold your monkey for you.