[thelist] Authorize.net and AVS

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Tue Dec 20 16:47:31 CST 2005

Our estore goes live tomorrow morning (including a major advertising
campaign in print hitting the newsstands tomorrow). The xcart install
using authorize.net for a gateway works with US credit cards. We tried a
Canadian one and it failed. authorize.net had this to say:

=====
Most international orders will receive response codes of "G", "U" and
"S". Most international orders will not receive one of the No
Match/Match AVS responses as the majority of foreign banks do not
support the AVS system. Authorize.net recommends that you employ your
default settings, however it does not work for all business models.
Please be aware that if you change these settings address verification
will not be done on these transactions. you can take these settings off
and see if that influence your shopping cart.
=====

We do indeed expect non-US customers. I am uncertain as to what
percentage, but we without question expect them and of course want their
business.

Are we thus left with no choice but to disable AVS security? In reality,
I think many sites with which I am familiar do not confirm my billing
address that it matches that which is on record with my credit card company.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Hershel