[thelist] PHP comment spam / Turing tests

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Sat Dec 24 08:57:34 CST 2005

> Paul Waring wrote:
>> I'm getting an awful lot of spam to my blog at the moment

Matt Warden scribeva in 2005-12-24 14:38:
> Your other option is to use CAPTCHA (the type-what-you-see-in-the-image
> stuff), which will probably hold of spam robots for quite a while. You
> just have to make sure you get a CAPTCHA system that produces images
> that your human users can read (sometimes CAPTCHA systems generate
> random disfigurements and make it impossible to read by both human and
> computer).

CAPTCHAs are often discouraged just because they complicate things for
human users too - even those who have perfect eye sight...

Just got a thought, how would this sound:
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Now please
type the second letter of the third word here:__"

This would work even with screen readers. But then again, how about
dyslexic persons...

Turing tests are getting tricky... computers are now or soon having
capabilities that human users don't always have - how to let such person
in while keeping computers out?

.k