[thelist] Query Help

thelist at cjmarsh.com thelist at cjmarsh.com
Thu Jan 5 14:42:40 CST 2006

Casey

> > SELECT DISTINCT events_banquets.event_id
> > WHERE events_banquets.event_id = events_banquets_staff.event_id
> >      AND events_banquets_staff.userID = '" & userID & "' "
>
> Thanks Chris.... but, can you use a table in the WHERE clause
> when you
> didn't use it in the SELECT?  I now get this error:

You certainly can, but you *do* need the FROM clause that I inadvertently
deleted :)

Try the following:

SELECT DISTINCT events_banquets.event_id
  FROM events_banquets,
       events_banquets_staff
 WHERE events_banquets.event_id = events_banquets_staff.event_id
   AND events_banquets_staff.userID = '" & userID & "' "

Personally I would be inclined to use the following syntax:

    SELECT DISTINCT events_banquets.event_id
      FROM events_banquets_staff ebs
INNER JOIN events_banquets eb
        ON eb.event_id = ebs.event_id
     WHERE ebs.userID = '" & userID & "' "

There is no particular performance gain that I'm aware of, but I find it a
lot easier to see what I'm doing with this syntax.

HTH!

[..]

Regards

Chris Marsh