[thelist] Nondisclosure Agreement

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Tue Jan 10 08:49:09 CST 2006

> >>To be clear, I am looking for a form that says that the code
> >>that our new contractor, Johnny-boy, writes will be owned by
> >>US and not by him.
> >
> >>From what you say, you will require a Work For Hire
> agreement to satisfy
> > the conditions in your second paragraph.
>
> Hmmm, looks that way. I wasn't aware of this agreement. I
> also see now
> that I may want to have him sign a non-compete also.
>
> So do I need all these forms? Or is there a general form?
>
> Thanks,
> Hershel

You might want to take a look at the standard AIGA contract [0], which
includes a wealth of information about what to include in contracts.
This might be of some general help to you.

For specific Work-For-Hire contracts, try Googling "Work For Hire
Form"[1], it turns up a decent list of contracts, including this pretty
straightforward one[2].

My experience tells me, however, that no contract keeps people from
doing stupid things they aren't supposed to. My advice would be to also
engage a law firm or lawyer familiar with your line of business and keep
his/her contact info handy. You may never need it, but if you do, its
good to already have the contact close at hand.

Regards,
Ron

[0] PDF File
-http://www.aiga.org/resources/content/2/7/6/8/documents/aiga_standard_c
ontract.pdf

[1]
http://www.google.com/search?q=Work+For+Hire+form&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=ut
f-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

[2] http://copylaw.com/forms/Workhire.html