[thelist] MySQL PHPMyadmin

Dan McCullough dan.mccullough at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 08:42:01 CST 2006

not to nit pick

the -p should be without a space so it would be -ppass, also with -h
that is usually only needed if your db is on another machine and you
havent specified the host in the my.cnf, worse that happens if you
have to specify a password and you get the space after the -p it will
prompt you for it.

I agree that if you have large imports or exports that you use the
command line at all possible.  I have a table of 40,000+ zip codes
that I have to export and import via commandline, I also believe its
good pratice to know different ways of accessing the information as it
will be beneficial.

import command

mysql -u me -ppassword dbname < somefile.sql

export command

mysqldump --opt -u me -password dbname > somefile.sql

there is a ton of informaiton out there about exporting only certain
tables or compressing the output to tar.gz and so on, so google will
become your best friend.

HTH