[thelist] Should you design and test for unsupported browsers ?

Jono jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Sat Jan 21 18:08:45 CST 2006

> And I meant to say <2% earlier. Anyway, I'm trying to do this:
> http://www.lexjet.com/lexjettest/defaultnew.asp
>
> And it looks fine in Mozilla/IE on PC; fine in Mac Safari, but in Mac IE
> ignores the css on padding:10px

In checking the link you posted the only two differences I can see between
IE 5.2.3 and Firefox 1.5 on my Mac is the the rotating header photos look
distorted and slightly thinner in IE than Firefox; and there is no border
around the main bottom area in IE.

I did not check, but I suspect you are not setting the width and height of
the rotating images, which is allowing IE to distort the images and make
them thinner vertically.  As for the border missing in IE, I am not sure
what's happening there.

If you are worrying about 10px of padding being off somewhere in IE Mac, I
wouldn't worry too much about it since it doesn't appear to be interfering
with the site's usability.

If you are worried about it, then there is most likely a IE5/Mac Hack that
can fix the problem.  You might try the following sites for some help:

CSS-Discuss Mailing List Archive Search:
javascript:term=prompt('Search%20thelist%20Archives:');if(term!=null){locati
on='http://www.google.com/search?as_q='+term+'&as_sitesearch=archivist.incut
io.com&safe=on&submit=Go';}
--> Copy and paste, and watch out for the wrapping of the link.

[theList]'s Mailing List Archive Search:
javascript:term=prompt('Search%20thelist%20Archives:');if(term!=null){locati
on='http://www.google.com/search?as_q='+term+'&as_sitesearch=lists.evolt.org
&safe=on&submit=Go';}
--> Copy and paste, and watch out for the wrapping of the link.

Mac IE 5 ‹ problems with css rendering:
http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/

MacEdition:
http://www.macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/