[thelist] [MySQL] Update Collation on All Tables

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sun Jan 22 16:48:45 CST 2006

Hmm, since I got no responses to this, perhaps I should rephrase it.
How can I alter some columns on all tables across a DB in MySQL, on an
automated basis?  Specifically, I want to change the default charset and
collation on all tables and for each column that is of a textual
(varchar, char, text, etc) type.  Obviously I can manually do the change
via command-line or a frontend such as phpMyAdmin, but that's tedious
and prone to error.  I cannot seem to find how to do this via the MySQL
docs or Google, but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/