[thelist] tip: use other search engines

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 07:54:13 CST 2006

kasimir-k wrote:

> "Google said Tuesday it would launch versions of its search and news Web
> sites in China that censor material deemed objectionable to authorities
> there, reasoning that users getting limited access to content was better
> than none."

Ah, thanks. I do share your concern about censorship and Google, but
personally I don't think Google are acting improperly.

Automatically censoring the results based on the user's location isn't a
new practice. There are some very interesting articles (e.g. [1]) going
back a way about this. For example, Germany has some very strict laws
about accessing certain sorts of web content, and Google has filtered
sites in results shown to German users for quite a while now.

I don't see how they could responsibly do anything else; I think they do
have an obligation to respect the laws of the country in which the
service is used. My opinion of the regime in this particular instance is
really beside the point.

I wonder what Chinese web users would prefer - no access to a full
Google service, or reliable access to a censored one?

Cheers

Ian

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2360351.stm

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net