[thelist] Japanese translations

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Wed Jan 25 08:34:57 CST 2006

On 24 Jan 2006 at 16:30, Neal Watkins wrote:

> I actually have a word doc with the Japanese translations - but applying to a
> webpage is a total different thing.
>
> I cannot get it to render correctly
>
> Do i need a specofic font?
>
> do all the japanese fonts need to be converted into character code?

try this first...

visit a japanese site, and when IE prompts you to download the Asian
language pack, do it... install it and get it running... i'm
presuming windows here...

when you prototype your HTML, change the charset in the meta to
"Shift-JIS", and the language to "ja":

JIS">

if your text is still truly japanese (and hasn't been eaten by your
processor), paste it in and save it... use a text editor that
supports extended characters (notepad can do it)...

view it in your browser...

we have a native japanese speaker on staff, and we've done many many
sites in japanese, chinese (simplified and traditional), and
korean... it's easier than you think... the tough part is the
proofing...