[thelist] disappearing table elements (was RE: tip: use other search engines)

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Jan 26 12:33:48 CST 2006

On 26 Jan 2006 at 10:15, Canfield, Joel wrote:
[...]
> > Changing the display property of an element via script to hide/show
> > it? Does that element happen to be a table, table row, table cell, or
> > list item for example?
>
> I realize it's not directly your point, but a single disappearing cell?
> This whole tip is kinda like the first time I heard the Grateful Dead: I
> can't even imagine circumstances where I could understand this.
>
> Got any cool examples?

yes, but none i can show (NDAs)... perhaps offlist i can give some tidbits...

but a disappearing cell is rarely a single thing... imagine a table
of data, and you want to hide one of the cells... imagine a tabbed
interface, where you hide one cell and show another... image a world,
full of pudding, and sweltering it its own shoes...

i rarely hide a single cell, it's usuall a row or multiple rows...

> My design work stagnated somewhat a few years ago, and I'm finally in a
> position to start paying attention again. This just piqued my interest.

i have a cool thing i am working on now that hides/displays <tbody>
tags, but only if you have JS... if you don't have JS, the tabs drop
you to the anchors in each <tbody>... with JS, the other <tbody> tags
disappear and each tab displays one...

that isn't the cool part...

but i can't talk about the cool part...

that's the first rule of cool parts...