[thelist] Help with providing a backup to javascript solution

Todd Stadler tstadler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:30:55 CST 2006

Hello,

I seem to be writing to you from about seven blocks north of your
business address (that is, I work in the Haseltine Building, across
the street from Kell's). So that's fun.

On 1/25/06, Jacob Reiff <jacob at jaacob.com> wrote:
> I've got an effect using prototype and script.aculo.us that I really
> like on this site, the problem is that I'm not sure how to provide a
> degradable solution for people with javascript disabled.

I'm not sure if you've got the answers you wanted or not to this
problem. Christian Heilmann gave the answer that first came to my
mind. Or something like his answer, but the link is to another form on
a different page.

But, in playing around with an answer, I discovered some issues you
might want to know about.

1) Funny problems occur if you right-click on the big red "Give me
passion!". For whatever reason, the appearance of your "Becoming a
BePrivy client" is triggered by any mouseclick, right or left.
Unfortunately, the black-screen-scroll only occurs when I right click
on the big red. So left-clicking brings up the client box. And
clicking on its close button then toggles the black screen to scroll
down. Leaving me with no way to get rid of it except download. I
wouldn't have right-click pull up the client box, if I were you.

2) The black screen doesn't really scroll all the way down -- it only
scrolls down one viewport's worth of the page. This doesn't matter if
you've just arrived at the page and haven't scrolled down. But try
this: scroll to the bottom of the page (or as low as you can go and
still see the "Give me passion!"). Then click on the passion link. The
black screen only scrolls down to "the fold". I'd expect the screen
location, height, and width, as well as the client dialog box, to be
fixed with respect to the screen, so that no matter how much I scroll
or resize the window, the whole area is greyed out and there's a
dialog box in the middle. As it is, you can click on the passion link
and have a dialog box pop up whose contents are off the screen (for
the most part). No idea how easy it is to fix such things with the
Scriptaculous bit.

Got a bit wordy in describing all this; sorry about that. Just trying
to make sure I'm making sense.

Oh, and for all these complaints, I like the design of the site. Very clean.

Todd Stadler, tstadler at gmail.com
"You try to warn them that the world's gone mad, but they won't listen
to you" -Snoopy