[thelist] Browsers to Support

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Thu Feb 2 07:50:34 CST 2006

On 2 Feb 2006 at 11:17, Christian Heilmann wrote:
[...]
> In our projects we draw the line at IE 5.5 / PC and don't support MSIE
> 5 for Mac at all any longer, it is not supported by Apple or
> Microsoft, so why bother? That said, we tested our client base
> beforehand.
[...]

even though there is a whole set of browsers for which we don't code,
i still believe strongly in keeping them around -- some fraction of a
percent has them, and sometimes it's nice to know *how* something
will break...

that being said, running NN4.x doesn't hurt, and we still test on Mac
IE5.1.. you don't have to support those browsers if you don't want
to, but wouldn't you rather *not* look surprised when someone tells
you how it breaks? hell, sometimes i'm surprised at how it *doesn't*
break...

that being said, i'd strongly recommend adding Lynx to your testing
suite... great, quick way to help ensure your content linearizes
well, your images have alts, it can used without JS (and therefore,
by a search engine), etc...

after all, if you care about the above, then you really *are*
supporting Lynx...