[thelist] Logo Contest Question

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Tue Feb 7 08:25:10 CST 2006

> Peter Chen wrote:
> > Whether or not you decide to pay him/her, there's no need
> to tell the
> > lone entrant that s/he had the only entry. No need to
> divulge too much
> > information.
> >
> > Just as a reference, according to the Graphic Artist Guild,
> the pricing
> > guide for non-profits/lowest revenue businesses is around
> $6000 for a
> > logo.
> >
> > -P Chen
> >

> ...and this, when you can get a logo from several places on
> the Internet
> for a few hundred dollars. Try a Google search.
>
> /Mattias

Not to pick on you Mattias, but frankly, I'm amazed at this sort of
response. First off, to create a first rate logo takes a lot of time and
skill. Usually a designer would go through any number of sample designs,
and then any number of iterations to refine that design to arrive at the
final logo. And typically that designer has spent years and much money
in educating him or herself and arriving at the skillset necessary to
carry out such a task.

Secondly, that logo has the potential to be used on everything from a
neon sign, stationary, websites, billboards, posters, etc. over the
course of its life. So $6,000 isn't just buying you a logo but the
typically unlimited usage rights for that logo. In reality, the bulk of
the cost of a logo is really the usage rights. Just as the cost of using
a photograph in a magazine is really the cost of the right to display
the photo in the magazine. In the case of the logo, the designer is
striking a deal to give up all his/her rights to that piece and allow
the company unlimited use of it. THAT's what your 6K is buying.

Considering that a logo is typically the primary identification mark for
a business, I think it is a very important part of the financial aspect
of said business, especially a non-profit or organization that might
depend on recognition for fundraising or donations.

Regards,
Ron