[thelist] Only IE-pc doesn't want to send form?

michael ensor edc at wnc.quik.co.nz
Tue Feb 14 15:16:33 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pieter Roosens"

: Op 14-feb-06, om 20:>
: > After playing around with things, it looks like the final URL which
: > IE is
: > being told to go to is just too long.  I played around with things
: > a little
: > and it looks like your full URL is over 2000 characters when
: > submitted (with
: > no data!).  Some unconfirmed playing around seems to indicate that
: > IE won't
: > attempt to process the URL if it is generated to be longer than 2101
: > characters.
: > On another note:  If I take the result of the function that I wrote
: > and
: > paste that URL into IE's address bar, even more of it gets
: > cropped.  It
: > looks like a 2102 character URL is too long for IE by around 55
: > characters,
: > making it look like IE's max URL is closer to 2046 (which is close
: > to 2048,
: > so it sounds reasonable).
: >
: > Basically, you'll need to swap out your form action from a GET to a
: > POST, or
: > significantly shrink the size of your form.  Keep note that even
: > getting the
: > input fields below a certain threshold may not help you with GETs
: > since a
: > user can type a ton of data in any of the form fields.
: >
: > HTH,
: >
: > Roger
: >
: Hi Roger, thanks a lot. You're an expert. I'm not a code-man.
: I think the switch to POST will solve the problem.
: I'll try that tomorrow cause I don't have the site here at my office.
:
: Will let you know how it works out ...
: Pieter

GET sends the data as one string, so unless you know your form data
will never form a string longer than 255 characters you should always
use POST. Unix limit for string data is 255 characters.......