[thelist] Show of Hands - Your IT Staff Situation

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Feb 16 10:04:42 CST 2006

Rob Smith asked about 'situational' stuff:

Hi Rob,

I agree with Jay.  A tip is owed.  Moreover, this is really more of a
topic for 'thechat'.  [Ties in, kinda, with yesterday's thread on
'what do you see when you look out the window in your office today'.]

>>Hey I was just curio[u]s about your IT situation?

Me: Do - supply chain reporting, data quality, poking my nose into
things,
bending those dangerous "1"s into nice safe "0"s, and other
miscellaneous
stuff.  Ed - BS, MS, and (drumroll please) 'PhD Dropout'!   ;-)

Tens of Thousands of Other Folks: Do - all those other fiddly bits
that need doing.  Ed - all over the map.

>>How many people do you have staffed? [etc.]

The Street sez "Too damn many".  That's being addressed.

RonL.

<tip type="Widely Communicate the Implications of Technical Decisions">

Had a friend recently decide to store 'comments' as Word documents in a
Blob element within an Oracle db in order to retain 'legalistic'
formatting
with bolds, underscores, and strike-thoughs. Nice idea.

Works well within Oracle Forms to display the information.

Prints nice too.

Users want to save the info and use it as an email attachement.  Oooops.

Doesn't look like Oracle Forms does that nicely with blob elements.

The technological limitations would have been recognized earlier (and
perhaps an alternative technique used) if the limitations had been
more widely communicated earlier in the project.

Make sure the 'right' people are aware of the consequences of your
choice of solution.

</tip>