[thelist] [OT] Stolen laptop + Rails tip

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Feb 16 19:06:48 CST 2006

Message from Ian Anderson (2/16/2006 12:58 PM)

>Hi all,
>
>My Dell laptop was stolen last night from my house
>
>a. Has anyone seen it? (only kidding)

Ian,

I rather doubt you'd have much luck with this, but just thought I'd throw
it out. Here (small island, population 1 million) it appears that it's
common pratice for thieves to try to sell stolen laptops etc via the
newspaper classifieds.

Apparently a couple people have had their equipment recovered by monitoring
'for sale ads' that appear within a few weeks of the theft.

Also, for digital cameras there are a couple sites where you can post the
serial #'s of stolen cameras, presumably the make it slightly more
difficult for it to be passed off as legit merchandise. Not sure if
something similar exists for laptops.

Good luck either way.

regards.
-marc