[thelist] [OT] Stolen laptop + Rails tip

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Thu Feb 16 19:52:33 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 09:13 +1100, Ken Schaefer wrote:

> ..However I don't know an OS that natively provides encryption support
> based on certs in the TPM. Vista will have that support (AFAIK), otherwise
> you'll be using a 3rd party piece of software.

Fedora Core 4 supports encryption though it's HAL (Hardware Abstraction
Layer), the kernel has device mapper and dm-crypt enabled as modules
(dm-mod and dm-crypt respectively) so you can't mount a volume if it's
encrypted. Of course this is no help for the OP now, just thought I'd
throw it out there as an alternative partition on his hard drive for
next time.

Linux does also support the Microsoft Point-To-Point Encryption with
some additional PPTP client software:

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora-core-4.phtml

Got me curious about the subject, and found this open source whole disc
encryption software for Linux and WinXP/2K, supports steganography for
deniability if you need it:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Untested by moi, ymmv etc.

hth!