[thelist] Plagiarism

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:19:14 CST 2006

On 17/02/06, Simon Perry <thelist at si-designs.co.uk> wrote:
> I have just found out that a some copy that I wrote for a site way back
> in 1999 has been copied almost verbatim by another website. Now the
> original copy has always displayed a copyright notice

I had this problem with one of the tutorials I wrote - someone copied
it onto their web site and thought it was acceptable because they'd
acknowledged me as the original author. A short, sharp email usually
does the trick though - most webmasters will take the material down
once they realise they've been found out. If that doesn't work, you
may want to take it up with their hosting company or ISP. I doubt
Google will be able or willing to do much, and lawyers are only really
of much help if you're in the same country as the plagiariser (plus it
costs a lot of money anyway).

Paul

--
Data Circle