[thelist] Flash based music player / Frame vs. Pop-Up

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Sat Feb 18 15:04:14 CST 2006

Hello List,

I did a Flash based music player for a client, you can find it here:
http://musex.fi/midem2006/
(Because of some constraints I had to do some compromises on things like
accessibility and graceful degradation, lets not concentrate on those
issues this time :-)

The client wants to use similar player on some other projects too, and
this brought me to an question I'd love to hear your views on: use
frames or a pop-up?

The idea is, that music can play uninterrupted while the visitor browses
the site - so the player can't be in the same frame/window as the rest
of the content.

First time round I ended up using frames, one reason was that it was
quicker to do reliably (not having to care for pop-up blockers), another
was that this being a project site, possible bookmarking or search
engine problems wouldn't create long term grief.

The second time I would either find a perfectly reliable pop-up solution
or seamless & problem free frame solution. Any ideas or pointers?

cheers,
.k